College Corner: Valparaiso University

Valparaiso University is an independent, private Lutheran university. It was established in 1858 and is located in Valparaiso, Indiana. There is currently 3,183 undergraduate students and 916 graduate students coming from almost all 50 states, and over 40 different countries.

Classes are relatively small at Valpo. The typical class size is 21 and the student to staff ratio is 13:1. 100% of classes are taught by professors too! Most colleges are taught by student teachers who do not know the material as well. The student diversity is very broad. 32% of students are multicultural and international students. 48% are male, and 52% are female on campus. Also, oPorter Pressver 62% of students are from outside of Indiana.

Valpo is a very prestigious school to get accepted into. The average GPA accepted is 3.71 and the ACT ranges from 23-29 and the SAT from 1510-1770. Once accepted in, tuition plus room and board averages to around $46,680 yearly. 94% of undergraduate students receive an average of $30,000 annually from all sources. Academic scholarships awarded upon admission, ranging from $15,000 to $25,000.

Valpo offers over 70 areas of study! Among these include top options such as Art and Sciences, Business, Christ College(Honors), Engineering, Nursing, and Law. For all majors, the placement rate at Valpo is over 94% in people finding jobs in their degree.

Valpo competes in Division 1 athletics, in the competitive Horizon league. They have 10 men sports, and 9 women’s. Their men’s basketball team is one of top in the nation, and is constantly in the march madness tournament at the end of the year.

The town of Valpo has a major downtown area! The nightlife includes plenty of restaurants and has a very high rated ghost tour. The college participates in many fests, which includes the annual popcorn fest which draws in thousands of people a year! With a sprawling town and nightlife like no other, there is plenty to do at Valpo University and the town surrounding it!