Sign language club makes incredible strides

Written by Deviyon Fitts, Student Writer

More than 60 students at Lockport Township High School have already signed up for Sign Language Club this year in just its second meeting.

In the club, students explore the world of sign language in a relaxed environment, making it more fun for the students to learn the language. The club consists of students of different grade levels and students of special needs. They meet once a week, almost every Tuesday after school from 3:20 to 4:00PM in room 42 at East Campus. When the club meets, the students learn basic sign language and its culture. The club gets into small groups, and the experienced students who have been in the club for awhile teach the new students signs and phrases.  

In an interview, Ms. Missy Schmook, the club’s sponsor, was asked if the club gets enough attention around the school. She said, “I’m feeling pretty good; those numbers are getting better.” More students are joining the club.

She then continued, “We promote ourselves and started with 7 students.”

The more students who join the club, the more she can teach sign language and its culture.

When two LTHS juniors in the club, Jolie Boros and Katlyn Mellies, were asked if the club gets enough attention, Jolie responds, “We get announcements in the morning but no one really promotes it.”

Jolie, Katlyn, and Ms. Schmook were also asked how they could get more people to join Sign Language Club.

Katie answered, “We have enough join the club; it’s about trying to keep people in the club.”

Ms. Schmook replied, “More people could join if friends tell friends about the club and when students come to the club, they bring a friend.”

It’s important that the club continues to grow because not all students can take the class. Sign Language Club gives students all the opportunity to learn sign language even if they can’t take the class. Students can still join the club: they’ll just have to come to one of the  meetings after school, and they can learn sign language in no time.