Lockport falls 17-14 at Friday’s homecoming game

Porters’ fighting spirit alive and well

Photographer: Ben Bauer

Taken September 23rd: Lockport vs. Andrew

Written by Ben Bauer, Sports Editor and Student Journalist

Each high school has a homecoming with dances, activities, and football games. Last Friday, September 23rd, Lockport Township High School played its homecoming game against Andrew High School and lost with a final score of Andrew (17) and Lockport (14).

With any loss there is an opportunity to become better. An underrated quality of winning teams is their ability to turn mistakes into opportunities for improvement.

“We could have prepared better,” says senior linebacker Jimmy Cozen.

Taking the blame as a team is a step in the right direction and a sign of progress shown by a starter of one of the most important positions on defense. When asked about the loss, Gabe Armegatcher, a senior defensive back, took a similar lesson from the game and broke down his individual play. These players may be graduating, but it goes to show how the LTHS football program is developing its players with these examples of leadership.

The ability to put experiences into perspective is another valuable trait, so when Jimmy and Gabe were asked about their goals for the rest of the season they responded accordingly: “Have fun and play my heart out,” states Jimmy

“To get more interceptions and return them for touchdowns,” says Gabe.

The coaching staff had a similarly optimistic view on the loss. When asked about the loss, Coach Frieri responds, “Varsity players have done an incredible job throughout the summer with adapting to new positions, battling injuries, and remaining positive.”

While losses sting in the moment, understanding how to improve from them is what separates good players and coaches from bad. Lockport’s football team might not have the most ideal record or playoff positioning, but the culture and the mindset is that of winners.

Not only does the team show mental toughness in shaking off a close loss, but the attitudes shown by the players project future success in not only football but life.

Defensive Players Jimmy Cozen (52) and Jalen Sortor (22) lining up for a stop at Friday’s game

Photographer: Ben Bauer