LTHS choir begins the year in harmony

Photographer: Sydney Bush

Photographer: Sydney Bush

Written by Sydney Bush, Staff Writer

The first concert of the year  for LTHS’ choir students evokes many different emotions. The students have about two months to memorize their parts in multiple songs. With meticulous practice everyday inside their choir classes, the results were apparent at the Fall Choir Concert.

At the choir concert on October 12th, the Freshmen, Concert, Bel Canto, Mixed, and Acapella choirs all performed at least 3 songs of different origins. Each choir is made up of different types of people, and they all sing various types of songs.

LTHS sophomore students Danika Eustaquio and Sarah Calvert both participate in different choirs. Danika is part of the Acapella choir, where most of the time they are not accompanied by any musical instrument, and Sarah is part of the Bel Canto choir, which is an advanced women’s choir.

When Sarah performs, she thinks about her appearance and facial expressions because they can affect how the audience reacts to the performance.

Reflecting on the concert, Sarah says her choirput a lot of effort into our performance.” She adds, “I believe we could have done better. If we had more time to learn and perfect the music, our performance could have been much better, and we could have made less mistakes.”  

In Danika’s opinion, the concert took a lot of effort and preparation, and a singer can never be too prepared. She was nervous at first, but as the performance went on, she became more relaxed. For Danika to perform to the best of her ability, she makes sure that she stays calm and focuses on her music.

Both Sarah and Danika both agree that all the choirs performed very well and that their first concert was a success. Sarah says,Everyone in each choir knows each other, and we’re all pretty much friends. We might not all talk to each other every day, but we are comfortable talking to each other. We are all very supportive of each other, especially before shows.”

Danika adds, “The atmosphere among the members is a very positive one. The upperclassmen are really helpful. I’m an alto, and the alto section, as well as the rest of the ensemble, has helped me develop as a musician.”

The concert went very well, and the choirs will continue to practice and prepare for the winter concert coming up in December.