First trip to State for LTHS golfer Ben Sluzas

Photographer: Matthew Eber

LTHS golfer Ben Sluzas

Written by Ben Bauer, Sports Editor and Student Journalist

Making it to State is the pinnacle for high school athletes. Ben Sluzas made it to State as a freshman, which is truly remarkable. He shot a two-day score of 157 (81 on day one and 76 on day two). Ben qualified for State by advancing from sectionals with a score of 78. State this year was held at The Den at Fox Creek in Bloomington, which took place on October 13th and 14th.

Ben made varsity as a freshman, which for most would be a challenge. When asked about it, Ben replies as one might expect: “My first year playing golf at LTHS was great.”

A good attitude is one of the most important tools for success, and it looks like Ben has exactly that. State is one of the hardest high school golf tournaments because it combines tough competition with grueling weather and playing conditions; however, when asked about it, Coach Matt Eber replies, “Playing conditions were unseasonably nice 60’s-70’s but windy as always.”

Even with warm weather, the State golf course, The Den, remains a challenge because of the course design and wind; however, the LTHS boys golfers are prepared to play in the wind. Coach Eber explains that a priority during practice is “short game and flighting balls lower.” In terms of golf, flighting balls lower means to keep the ball low to avoid the impact of wind on the shot. Working on flighting balls lower seems like common sense in the wind, but it is usually not practiced. Having practiced this technique increases confidence in a golfer’s ability to execute the technique, especially in a tournament setting.

After a successful start to high school golf, it is normal to ease off and be satisfied, but for Ben that could not be farther from the truth. “My goal for next season is to win State,” Ben claims.

Ben acknowledges the difficulty of this goal but also understands that by continuing to work hard it is a possibility. LTHS boys golf looks to be in a good place for years to come, with Ben Sluzas at the helm.