Holiday lights of Lockport

Photographer: Lauren Jankowski

Just one of the holiday lights display at Creekside South

Written by Lauren Jankowski, Staff Writer and Student Journalist

The holidays bring on many traditions for all friends and families. Some people go Christmas carolling, some make gingerbread houses, and some go light hunting.

Light hunting, when one drives around scoping out the houses with the best decorations, is a tough tradition if you don’t know where the best houses are. Well, this is your inside scoop to finding the best Christmas lights around the Lockport area this holiday season.

If you don’t mind driving a bit, Silo Ridge Estates is the place to go for light hunting. Located off of 151st Street, this neighborhood will not let you down. With white lights decorating the entirety of the entrance, you know you’re in for a treat. Turn on 93.9 FM radio station and listen to the Carol of the Bells as you drive through the neighborhood looking at houses that average 15,000 square feet. You will see lights on the gutters, giant Santa figures and his reindeer, blow-up holiday characters, and large lit trees. It takes about twenty minutes to look at all of Silo Ridge Estates, and the whole time you will see an array of holiday lights that illuminate the streets.

If you’re looking for more lights or don’t want to make the drive out to Orland Park, Whispering Pines is a wonderfully lit neighborhood. Home to houses about 2,500 square feet, the decorations make each lot seem like 5,000 square feet. Right off of Farrell, each house is decorated bright and beautifully, giving a whimsical feel to the neighborhood. Homeowner Denise Stojak has exceptional lights. Taking about 2 days to complete, the Stojak family has been putting up Christmas lights for 27 years. Their outdoor lights are a collection of rainbow lights all around the house and trees making a cheerful spirit.

Photographer: Lauren Jankowski
Stojak Residence
Photographer: Lauren Jankowski
Sadler Residence

Creekside South does not let their sister neighborhood, Whispering Pines, beat them to the light arrangements. The latter connects to Creekside South through Douglas Parkway, dead ending into a right or left turn. Guests would want to hit neighborhoods but save the best for last and turn right first. Happily spirited but mellow, the small section of the neighborhood still brings out the Christmas cheer. If you drive toward the opposite direction on Merc Lane, you’ll see even more incredible houses, one being of resident’s Annmarie Sadlers. For 20 years the Sadlers have been “feeling very festive” with both their indoor and outdoor decor. After three hours worth of decorating inside, it makes sense that they have professionals do the outside for them. Be sure to see the all white-lighted house this season!

Photographer: Lauren Jankowski
Lights of Key West Street

Next, drive across Farrell, and you’ll see a street sign that reads “Key West.” The neighborhood on this street is nicely decorated, but the real show stopper is all down Key West. The whole street gets together to fulfill their street name by making their front yard trees look like palm trees. You won’t want to miss it!

Another hidden gem is the little addition to Creekside South off of 151st street. Like Key West, the houses are nicely decorated, but it is the trees that steal the show. The brightly lit trees are decorated with blue lights on the branches, and white trunks making it a very blue Christmas indeed.