Staff Spotlight is Lockport’s way of bringing recognition to staff members who stand out to students, and who truly make a difference! Shining a light on these staff members helps take their acts of kindness and pay it forward by sharing with the community. Our first staff spotlight for the year:
Vicky drives Route 18 from Crest Hill to Lockport Township!
1. How long have you been driving?
“About 23 years.”
2. How have you been adapting to the switch to hybrid? What are the biggest changes in your schedule?
“The hours change all the time.”
3. What inspired you to be a bus driver?
“I worked at a race track for horses and saw extra income as a bus driver. I’m also a UPS supervisor. My mom was also a bus driver.”
4. What’s your favorite color(s)?
“Blue and black”.
5. What’s your favorite part about being a bus driver?
“The kids. They are all different and make me laugh and even cry sometimes. I love all of their different personalities.”
6. Do you have any memories of your old bus drivers? Good or bad?
“I never went on the bus as a kid but sometimes I would go on the bus with my mom and ride along with her on her routes.”
7. Have you driven a bus at any different schools? If so, what stands out about Lockport’s buses/ routes?
“I’ve driven for Positive Connections, Ludwig, and Oak Prairie. When I first started, I drove for Villa Park District. Lockport’s district is more personable. When you drive for Lockport you’re a person and not just a number.”
8. Do you have any fears of contracting COVID-19 as a bus driver during this time? If so, what do you think should change, to accommodate your health needs?
“No, I feel safe the way things are. We spray the buses and clean the seats, so we’re following all precautions, and I feel safe enough to be in close contact with the number of students that ride the bus.”
9. Has being a bus driver affected the way you drive on the road now (in your car)?
“They teach you this thing called the Smith System, so when I’m driving I’ve been more careful and watchful about what I’m doing. I make sure to look more and be more observant when turning and things like that.”
Fun Fact: “I’m a certified roofer.”