Missing the minute

Students on the second floor at LTHS getting used to new policy

Written by Jack Yambor, Staff writer

Students at Lockport Township High School have found themselves not being able to leave class a minute early upstairs anymore. This new rule started this year and leaves many students and teachers wondering why.

In previous years, students were able to leave a minute early when they were in a classroom upstairs, if the instructor allowed it. This year, the only classrooms that get to release students one minute early are the Social Studies classrooms in the U-shaped hallway.

“This is not meant to punish students,” says Assistant Principal Thomas Kurzawski, “It is simply in place to increase instructional time.”

Kurzawski met with deans and administrators to talk about ways to increase instructional time. They also wanted to find a way to make hallways a little less crowded. Due to the fear of crowded hallways they felt that taking a minute away from students upstairs will help with safety of students.

“It is judgement on safety.  It is all about safety,” says Kurzawski, “We will see how it goes and if it works ok, then we will keep it going.”

Kurzawski also emphasized strongly that if one needs to get out a minute early for whatever reason, a student could go see a dean and talk about getting a one minute pass. However, Kurzawski did mention that if there are too many one minute passess being given out, then maybe students should get the minute again.

Kurzawski and the deans have not seen a larger number of tardies with this new rule and if students do find themselves tardies then they need to get a minute pass.

“It’s nice to have the extra minute,” English teacher Elizabeth McGrenera explains, “It makes getting out of school easier.”

Geiger found most of the changes to be positive rather than being negative.  She explained that a few students would ask for passes but other than that, it was not a problem. However she also explained that the first week kids were getting out one minute early.

Sophomores don’t seem to care about the changes, McGrenera said, because they did not know they could leave a minute early because this is their first year at East Campus. She also said Juniors also do not seem to mind.

“It makes hallways more crowded, but only some students complain,” McGrenera said, “ Most are able to make it to their next class though.”

“I don’t find much trouble getting to my classes downstairs because of this,” Lockport Senior Andrew Longanecker explained, “I do not find much of a difference getting to my classes.”

Longanecker explained that he did not have a locker upstairs and that his classes were all pretty close to each other. He has not really noticed a change and does not use a one minute pass.

“I still get eager to get out early forgetting about the loss of leaving a minute early,” Longanecker explained, “however we do get out early in social studies, which is good.”

Students and teachers need to know that this will probably be in effect for the rest of the year. Students should note that if they do find themselves tardy they should explain get a minute pass.