Dress Code: Practical or Prejudiced?

Written by Sydney Gutierrez, Editor in Chief

Have you felt the wrath of a write-up recently? In all likelihood, it was over Lockport’s dress code expectations. To be “covered from the shoulders to four inches above the knee,” has been the policy in recent years with a heavy focus on young women.

The district censors LTHS girls more than boys, it’s a simple fact. LTHS dress code targets young women far more than young men; Dean’s assistants have been known to pull girls aside for a hole in their jeans and issue detentions for sweaters that leave just a bit too much skin exposed, whereas boys have clearance to wear cut-up gym shirts with exposed sides.

The code essentially states from the shoulders to four inches above the knee, students are expected to be covered. As students of a public school, we have rights to freedom of expression. Or do we?

For girls, it’s not just about exposed skin in school halls anymore. Last year in Evanston, IL, in a middle school no less, parents were told that their twelve-year-old’s were to no longer wear shorts, leggings, or yoga pants, because they are deemed to be “too distracting” to their male peers.

If stars or hearts on the leggings of an eleven year old are too distracting, shouldn’t there be a change in the system?

Wouldn’t it be a better idea to teach the teachers and students of the system to control themselves when catching sight of a bra strap, a collarbone, or heaven forbid, under-age knees?

Female bodies aren’t censored for professionalism in schools, but rather for the “convenience” of a male audience. It further enforces a warped body image for young girls, and a “boys will be boys” attitude on young boys. If you aren’t objectifying or dehumanizing women, you just don’t cut it as one of the boys. It all begins with the treatment of women as sexual objects. We as a district are not only furthering increases in the superiority gap between the sexes, but preventing a feeling of security in society as a boy or a girl.

That feeling of ‘security’ morphs itself into body image. This dress code our district has enforces the idea that the human body is shameful. “You should be covered,” and “Modest is best,” all look to ideals mirroring modern puritanism, and Porter Planner ideals.

Enforcing a dress code that encourages the hiding of and the objectification of the LTHS student body, both literally and figuratively, promotes civil unrest amongst students. We seek to push boundaries as young adults, a dress code provides another rule that is meant to bend. In the end, the school board will lose this battle, the only control they have is as to when the dress code will go down in flames.

This year’s back-to-school season was certainly an indicator on the reign of this dress code. It proved more than ever that the fashion industry is making a move to produce primarily sheer clothing meant to expose undergarments, the lower back, and the stomach. Personally, I would rather pay half price for half the fabric, but alas, crop tops and lace T-shirts are sold for full price.

Times are changing and so are our rules. We need to rid LP of the “covered shoulders” policy. Seeing my shoulder blades shouldn’t throw male students into a full on tizzy. And an exposed bra strap will not bring on the apocalypse, I promise.

Can the district really blame us for dressing ourselves the way that we do? In recent  years, I’ve found stores to carry more clothing meant to reveal, rather than to cover the body. In my opinion, I would rather be warm in an air conditioned building, than cold in a short skirt.

Conforming to policy has always been a pain. Girls know to keep a safety jacket in our lockers, a spare tank top, and a pair of sweatpants just in case. We are used to safety blankets of fabric, and that is plain wrong.

I for one, would hope to one day feel safe in the clothes I’m wearing. I would like a policy that secures my rights as a young woman. I would love to be treated as a human being as I walk through the halls of a place where I am meant to feel the most secure.

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.