East campus gets an upgrade

Photographer: Daniel Cruz

East Campus’s construction of the courtyard

Written by Sarayah Villasenor, Staff Writer

Building construction began in January of this year at both campuses. At Central campus, there’s been minor construction that includes the reconfiguration of some classes due to the changes made regarding the Digital Pathways courses. The rooms are now able to better accommodate the new technology applications that are needed for the Digital Pathways curriculum and the newly added courses of Project Lead the Way Introduction to Engineering and AP Computer Science. These renovated multipurpose rooms will have movable walls that allow for two separate rooms or one large space that can be used for classroom projects and collaborative space.

Over at East campus, an entire new addition is being built that will contain new rooms for science labs and cooking classes. A courtyard has even been added as a pathway to connect East to the new addition, which will also help with traffic within the K Hallway. There will also be three multipurpose rooms with retractable walls that will be utilized as classrooms during the day and can be used as one large space for extracurricular activities after school. Renovations to the Media Center were recently completed, and there are plans to completely renovate the Community Room. The CWC will be turned into the Porter Room which will archive Lockport’s history including veterans and past LTHS accomplishments.

The administration meets with the construction company frequently and, despite the slight delay caused by the spring rain, the projects are anticipated to be completed by next month.

Though a few classrooms were displaced during the construction, the renovations didn’t cause any major inconveniences. East campus Assistant Principal, Mr. Greenan, and Central Campus Principal, Mrs. Green, stated that what pushed the administration to take this route was by listening to students, observing trends in education, and prioritizing the need for collaborative spaces that focus on communication, collaboration, and critical thinking.

Mrs. Green believes that these renovations will allow for access to new curriculum and provide opportunities for collaboration and the use of technology. According to Mr. Greenan, the ability to provide LTHS with cutting edge technology will be extremely beneficial for staff and students alike.