Lockport Township High School boys soccer ‘goals’

Photographer: Ben Bauer

Taken September 14th: Lockport’s Semifinal of the Pepsi Show Down

Written by Ben Bauer, Student Writer

If you enjoy watching soccer or just enjoying rooting for the Porters, this fall should be exciting. There are 3 levels of boys soccer: Freshman, JV, and Varsity. The soccer teams compete in the 3A Division where Varsity Head Coach Christopher Beal says they would like to repeat as conference champions.

Many students are wondering how far the soccer team can go this year. Being a large high school means competing in the 3A Division, the largest high school division, so students are aware of the uphill climb to Sectionals and State.

When asked a reason for optimism this season, Coach Beal says,“I believe that we have a good blend of defense and offense on our squad. We have a great goalkeeper and some talented players that can win games.”

This team seems poised to establish a strong record and to be competitive in conference and Sectional play, but every team has its weakness. The Porter’s Varsity team has a difficult schedule, and one of the most difficult Sectionals according to Coach Beal. A controllable area of weakness to improve upon is “scoring goals and eliminating individual mistakes,” says Coach Beal.

If the team can polish up these small nuances there is no telling how far they can go. The team seems equally optimistic because Coach Beal explains that their universal goal is “conference champions and Sectional champions.”

The soccer team plays many home games, so students who are interested in playing should make time to join the Porters this season.  Take time to notice Eric Keta, Nick Kowalczyk, Jose Mendoza, and Dan Blaszkiewicz on the Varsity team. Coach Beal says that all players have improved but especially those mentioned. Go Porters!