Speech team: It’s more than public speaking

Photographer: Imani Tapley

The LTHS Speech Team at one of its first meetings in room 236, east campus.

Written by Imani Tapley, Student Writer

It’s finally time for comedians, public speakers, and dramatic actors to shine. Lockport Township High School’s Speech Team had its  first meeting on Thursday, September 14th. The new head coach Ms. Kennedy Musich will be leading the speech team in a series of competitions.

This team is incredibly different and exciting for the students to take part in and for adults to watch.

Ms. Musich says , “This is a club in which students hone in on their writing, speaking, and listening skills in an  incredibly unique and creative way.  Students work on individual projects and collaborate on group pieces for competition. There are tons of different events at speech competitions, so students have lots of options in regards to what they want to write for or speak about.”

The Speech Team is looking forward to having a larger team and  doing well at the upcoming tournaments. The team will take part in about 8 or 10 tournaments in October to February.

Ms. Musich says,  “Competitions start anywhere from 8AM to 9AM,  and we hope to stay at competitions through the awards in the late afternoon and see our team on the stage getting awards.”

The days will be long, but there is a lot to learn and witness.

There are so many events that everybody practices differently. Although there are meeting two times a week, there is always time to practice. The  majority of the events are individual events.

Ms. Musich says, “During practice we practice the techniques of writing pieces. Speech is an art. To be able to communicate with others and move them with your words takes practice. We love practicing these skills and evolving in our art during practices.”

By the look of things, LTHS’ Speech Team has a pretty good idea on how to make its members shine and be successful in the upcoming season.