L-Town brings unwavering pride to LTHS students

Written by Haley Wyatt, Senior Staff Writer

Whether it be through chants of “go home freshmen” or creating a roller coaster ride in the bleachers full of students at football games, the Lockport student section, popularly known as L-Town, embodies what it means to have Porter Pride at Lockport.

L-town is described as the student-run section people see cheering at many sporting events at LTHS. The section is led by three senior LTHS students: Ryan Cunnane, Anthony Donahue, and Michael Hook. These three boys are known as the leaders of L-Town.

“We lead the chants and pick the themes for every game,” says Ryan.

L-Town began back in 2012 and has been growing since then. “Everyone loved it [when it began], and it’s continued and been passed down every year since then,” says Anthony.

The leaders of last year chose the leaders for this year. “[We] were picked from the leaders last year, and every year the leaders are changed,” says Anthony.

Being an L-Town leader comes with a lot of responsibility. “[The three of us] run the Twitter page (Ltown2017), organize the tailgates, lead the chants, and we keep the paddle,” says Anthony.

Only seniors can be L-Town leaders, though any student at LTHS can participate in the chants and stand in the section.

The themes for each football game are chosen before the season even starts, and L-Town leaders usually tweet in the group’s Twitter page to let all the students know how to prepare for the games.

Football games are definitely the biggest event for L-Town, and all students that participate. “The entire section goes insane [during football games]. It’s by far the best thing that I’ve experienced so far,” said Ryan.

Similarly, Anthony says, “Everyone goes hard for the athletic teams.”

L-Town is influential on many students across the four grade levels, and many people look forward to the Friday night games all week. Students even await a time when they themselves can become important figures in L-Town.

Anthony says, “I remember being a freshman and seeing the different leaders each year. I said, ‘I want to do that’. Now it’s finally here, and I’m one of those very leaders.”

L-Town allows for students to really feel like an important part of their school community. It brings everyone together to cheer on the school and creates true pride in being a Lockport student. As explained by Ryan, a lot of students here want to be able to let loose and go crazy sometimes but are afraid to stand out. Having something to release that – when everyone is going wild – allows everyone to feel like they have a part.

L-Town is one of the most positive student-established and student-run community at LTHS.

In the final words of wisdom from Ryan: “Lockport Football 2017 state champs: you heard it here first.”

Photographer: Haley Wyatt
L-Town leaders in action at one of the football games

Photographer: Haley Wyatt
Student view in the L-Town section of the bleachers

Photographer: Madeline Hedrich
L-Town at Friday’s homecoming game

Photographer: Madeline Hedrich
Students were informed to wear 80’s neon colors attire by L-Town at Friday’s homecoming football game

Photographer: Madeline Hedrich
Students showing their school spirit at the homecoming game in the L-Town section of the bleachers

Photographer: Madeline Hedrich
Just some of the students showing their L-Town pride

__________________________________________________________

To get the latest updates from L-Town, please follow them on Twitter.com/Ltown2017