“Happy Death Day” as one of the best horror films of the year

A movie review

Written by Zayne Giertuga, Staff Writer

**Prior to reading the article: Spoiler Alert**

Happy Death Day was bound to be great since the first trailer was released. Blumhouse, the film production team who made this movie, are well known for horror movies like The Purge and Get Out. This movie is no exception to this pattern.

The main character, Tree, who is played by Jessica Rothe is a college student. We don’t know much about her past other than she got drunk the night before her birthday and woke up in Carter’s dorm rather than her room.

Carter, played by Israel Broussard, is a boy Tree meets after a long night of drinking. We never see how she got there, but Carter says he dragged her back to his place. He also helps Tree throughout the film on how to solve her own murder.

The plot was a fun ride from beginning to end. Tree wakes up in a bed that isn’t hers and meets Carter. She then lives out the day normally where we begin to get a glimpse of her true character. As Tree is walking to a party, a person wearing what appears to be a baby mask and black attire follows Tree.

There is a nerve-racking scene where we see a wind-up porcelain set playing the “Happy Birthday” song in an ominous tone. We then see the mysterious killer behind Tree who chases and kills her. She then wakes up from this so-called-nightmare and relives the day again.

This movie is more of a comedic horror and is a must watch for horror fans. It does have its teeth-grinding moments of suspense, but the horror isn’t the only common thing. The jokes in this movie actually made me laugh and felt natural.

Even though this character relives the same day, the movie isn’t repetitive at all. In fact, the beginning of each day is the only similar part, but there are some differences to it.

This movie is one of the better movies I have seen this year, and it earns its place as one of the best horror films of the year.

Rating: 3.8/4 stars