LTHS boys basketball team’s “uncommon” mindset

Written by Zach Stangel, Sports Editor and Student Journalist

Basketball season at LTHS is almost upon us, and so is the hard work and dedication of the Porter’s boys varsity basketball team.  

Mr. William Crossen, varsity basketball coach says, “The expectations start with our program motto, which is “Uncommon.” So the goal of any season is always to develop that ‘Uncommon’ mindset and work ethic in all of our players, and if that occurs then we expect positive results will happen on the floor.”

The Porter’s basketball team starts their season in November.  LTHS senior student Jack Michalowski, player for the Lockport Porters, comments on the team’s strength: “We have always played good defense, and we hope to keep that going this year, but I think this year we will have a team that can shoot the ball, and that will help us a lot.”

Last year, the varsity team had a record of 11-15. Jack commented on how last year can help this year:  “I think that we can learn a lot from last year. Looking back, we can see what we did wrong and what we did right. Fix the things we did wrong, and keep doing the good things.”

When asked to comment on the future of the team, Coach Crossen says, “With the lower levels we expect that the players continue to improve their skill level over the course of the season. We had great participation over the summer from our freshmen and sophomores, so we expect them to have a bright future since a lot of them are already familiar with our program expectations.”

Jack commented on the same thing saying, “The future is bright especially with some of the talented sophomores we have in the program.”

The players and coaches have bought into the mindset of “Uncommon,” and the athletes are working hard to make this season a good one.