College Editorial: Becoming a Loyola Rambler

Porter Press staff writer Lauren Jankowski and siblings celebrating LUC’s 2016-2017 graduation.

Written by Lauren Jankowski, Staff Writer

To some students, senior year in high school is all about football games, prom, and senioritis, but there is one elephant in the room that most of these students seem to try and ignore: college.

The process of choosing colleges and applying is stressful to say the least. What if it’s too far? What if it’s too big? Does it have any scholarships? Will I actually like it and meet people? Will I even be accepted?

There are essays, deadlines, and college visits that all have to be done while students try to focus on daily school work as well. When seniors finally get that acceptance letter, however, all the stress and applications seemed worth it –  at least it did for me when I was accepted to Loyola University.

Loyola University of Chicago (LUC) is located on Sheridan Road in Chicago, right on Lake Michigan. Students can be “Rambler proud” as they cheer on the Division One athletics with Lu Wolf the mascot.  

As a Jesuit school, it is a smaller college with a total enrollment of 26,437 students in 2015. As a pristine university, there is actually a 63.6% acceptance rate. More than half the students will be accepted, a rare occurrence in highly ranked schools.

Not on the Common App, LUC has its own application layout. Although the Common App is helpful when applying to schools, LUC keeps it simple and sweet to apply. The Common App is a website with a general application that can be used for most colleges. There is one general essay, but schools may give a second prompt if they want more than the widely-used essay. Out of the 5 parts of the LUC application, only 3 (transcripts, test scores and recommendation letters) are required.

LUC does not have a required essay, but it is always a good idea to write one. There is a 500 word count to this essay, but Tony Mantia, a college representative for LTHS, said that as long as the extra 150 words are worth it, applicants are able to use their Common App essay.

I officially applied to LUC on September 30 and found out in their website on October 25 that I had been accepted. I checked the mailbox every single day, waiting for a letter to determine my fate whereas my best friend waited 6 days to hear back from Bradley University. I was in the shower when my mom called me to check my LUC account to learn that I was accepted. In the acceptance letter, LUC informed me the amount I received as a scholarship, the enrollment fee, and whether or not I was accepted to my preferred major.

Being in the heart of the city, there is a lot of travelling to do in the area. LUC, however, has shuttles to help move between the Lake Shore and Water Tower campuses. Students are given a UPASS, which provides free rides on the CTA and L (train) all semester. Also, for around $10 a ticket, concerts, comedy shows, and more entertainment are brought to the campus just for the students.

LUC is a place where students not only get to experience college life, but they can experience city life too. It would be a great choice for any student looking to extend their education through college.