Boys swim and dive team starts their season with big goals

Photographer: Michael Bates

Shown above is the 2016-2017 team bonding after a swim meet

Written by Erika Klejka, Staff Writer

‘Tis the season for the upcoming holidays! The start of LTHS’ Swim and Drive team is in session as the athletes gear up to beat past records set previously. Will they achieve their goals this season?

Head coach, Mr. Jason Ozbolt, announces that last year the boys had a lot of good records set individually in the 200 Free and the 200 IM. Coach Ozbolt also adds, “We are looking forward to seeing a relay or two break some records as well.”

The responsibility of being in shape off-season is in the hands of the swimmers. Since November to February is only a limited time to swim in season, taking part in swimming on private clubs can be beneficial to strengthening athletes’ skills off school ground. 

LTHS swimmers can mostly benefit from the workouts provided by Mr. Nick Setta, a strength and conditioning coach, to help them prepare for the high demands of strength needed for a competition. Coach Setta is also an LTHS alumna and has set numerous track records. The boys are in for a ride with his vigorous workout plans.

Michael Bates, a junior on Varsity, speaks about the workouts and claims, “Coach Setta is a Lockport trainer who trains almost every sport here and giving them workouts that go towards directly to the sport you are in.”

Robert Moreno, a senior, states that friendship is one important aspect with the athletes as they are working together everyday to reach Coach Ozbolt’s goal.  He says, “We start off with team bonding activities . . . to having a team sleepover.”

Robert exclaims, “As for preparing for the next season, 3 words: practice and music.” He later explains how music helps him personally with his times and speed.

Michael opens up about his past experiences as a swimmer on LTSC’s year-round swim team for 5 years before joining the high school team. Personal practice is what makes their performance show at tournaments. Additionally, Michael agrees that teamwork is most important with his team and adds, “It feels amazing to have my teammates cheering for me when I’m racing.”

Good luck to the team on reaching their goals!