Lockport gets chosen for the first Friday Flyover of ABC 7 News

Roz+Varon%2C+an+ABC+news+anchor%2C+with+L-Town+during+the+Friday+Flyover+on+September+6th.+

Photographer: Zach Vestal

Roz Varon, an ABC news anchor, with L-Town during the Friday Flyover on September 6th.

Written by Emily London, Copy Editor

September 6th was a big day for the students and staff of Lockport. After being chosen to participate in ABC 7’s “Friday Flyover” event, Lockport got its  very own cameo in the program. 

Approximately 1,000 students participated in the event. Students arrived at the scene as early as 4:00 a.m., dressed in their white attire for the school wide white-out theme, ready to showcase their school spirit.

ABC 7 used a helicopter to get an aerial view of East Campus’ football field, as students aligned in different formations. The helicopter did its rounds from 5 am to 7 AM.

Senior, Alexa, states she showed up to display her “pride and school spirit” and the event was able to get “all grades together to celebrate and showcase our school.”  

Another senior, Avery, claims, “There was a lengthy duration of time before the helicopter showed up. Some people left before it even got here, but I stayed and it was completely worth it!” 

Later this fall, voting on ABC 7’s website on the best flyover should be open to the public. 

Photographer: Zach Vestal
Roz Varon tries her best to perform with the Varsity Cheer Team.
Photographer: Zach Vestal
Roz Varon with her ABC camera crew
Photographer: Zach Vestal
Roz Varon and Dr. Greenan chatting with students on the field before the flyover
Photographer: Zach Vestal
Roz Varon interviews east campus’s principal Dr. John Greenan.
Photographer: Zach Vestal
One of the formations from the bleachers
Photographer: Zach Vestal
Varsity cheerleader Gia Stragmalia with Roz Varon
Photographer: Zach Vestal
The ABC 7 News helicopter