Model UN – Exploring Beliefs

Photo by Startup Stock Photos from Pexels

Written by Alyssa Papesh, Features Editor

The elephant in the room should probably be addressed. It’s understandable that most political views are not even close to being satisfied, especially in this year’s election. However, there are ways you can share your political views in a safe environment. A group called Model United Nations or Model UN, was started by Will Cichowski, a current student at Northwestern, Michael West, a student at Michigan state, and Jannah Abu’ahalil, University of Chicago, is meant to replicate and analyze the major conflicts in different countries, and explore solutions to such international problems.
Model UN is trying to make the world a better place by negotiating different ideas on how to alleviate international crises. This gives young adults an opportunity to evaluate modern crisis points throughout the globe and come up with solutions, by playing the role of the leaders of those countries. Students do research on an assigned country to learn more about their opinion on a given conflict, and then groups of students debate with each other to come to a compromise that works for both countries.
Model UN is a group here at Lockport, and accepts all students who want to participate and have the chance to use their writing capabilities for the good of the world. Weekly meetings are on Wednesdays at 3:00 PM and are held virtually. If you have any questions or are interested in joining Model UN, you can contact Sophomore English teacher, Mr. West at [email protected] for more information.