What It’s Like To Be A Second Semester Senior

Written by Samantha Bradley, Features Editor

It really does feel like yesterday that I nervously stepped on the bus and arrived at Central campus for the first time. It seemed like the biggest place ever; how could I ever find all my classes? High school seemed like the most important thing I’d ever conquer, but high school came and went. Now it is time to order graduation caps and gowns and actually decide what to do with the rest of my life.

This time of year is bittersweet for seniors. Knowing after these last few months we are on our own is a crazy feeling to describe. Some students will go straight into work, some will spend another four (or more) years in school, some are going into the trades, some are going into the military, and some are still figuring it out. Everyone’s lives are going to split down different paths, which if you think about, is really a beautiful thing. Some students will be moving on to other cities, or states, and some will continue to flourish in our hometown. But at this time next year, the class of 2023 will be out in the world doing amazing things. 

Many of us can’t wait to get out of here and are counting down the days to be free and move on to what’s next. We are over having to ask permission to go to the bathroom at eighteen years old. How come we can vote for a president but not be able to decide if our bladder is full? It’s frustrating. Being in high school with this mentality is hard. Senioritis is definitely real. And you might actually feel like ramming that sophomore standing in the middle of the hallway, or telling off that teacher who told you, “you should’ve gone to the bathroom during the passing period.” But we keep it in, I mean, we’re a strong class right? We are the last class to go through Covid lockdown in high school, and we made do with our circumstances. 

Everyone’s senior experience is different. I spent my junior year stressing about college applications and got them all done the summer before senior year. On the first day of senior year, I got accepted into the school I knew I wanted to attend so I didn’t spend as much time this year stressing about where I was going to go. Some kids applied to countless schools and rejection isn’t such a big deal for them. While, others apply to one school and are heartbroken if they don’t get in. Some of us couldn’t care less about getting into college and are onto other things.

I remember being a junior, thinking that I can’t imagine what it’s like to be them. But here I am, and let me tell you underclassmen, it will come faster than you know it. 

If you are an underclassmen, please do everything you want to do. If you like a sport, join it, if you want to join a club, do it. I wish my freshman year I would’ve just sucked it up and joined girls cross country because I loved to run. But I didn’t, and then it was too late. Take those AP classes if they interest you, or take that trades class you’ve been thinking of. Whatever, make the most of your time here, you won’t have chances like that after high school. 

Back to my seniors, if you are having a hard time with juggling plans for next year and high school classes, here’s a tip to stay motivated and avoid burnout.

Try to be present. You don’t want to miss out on your last year of high school by being mentally somewhere else. This is something I struggle with, it is so easy to tell yourself when you’re having a bad day that it is almost over, and soon you’ll never have to come back here again, or just constantly being absorbed with your next-year plans, and not focusing on what’s going on now. Find time to do something that doesn’t involve high school or your future plans, just something you enjoy. Maybe taking a run or walk with your dog, listening to music, going for a drive, things like that. Stay involved for your time here. You aren’t leaving yet, you can still play your sport or go to your club meetings. Don’t give up on your extracurricular activities even though you’ve already been accepted by your college! You still have time to enjoy these activities. 

Congratulations to all seniors for making it this far. Whether or not you’re going to cry your eyes out at graduation, or celebrate your way out of there, you did it, and that is an accomplishment to be proud of.