LTHS hosts Step Up Night

Stepping into endless opportunities

Photographer: Zach Vestal

Class of 2021 and parents file in Central’s gym and cafeteria to meet LTHS’s many extracurricular activities, sports, and programs.

Written by Jennie Alexandros and Haley Wyatt

Step Up Night for Lockport Township High School (LTHS) took place this year on Thursday, November 17th. Step Up Night is the time when all incoming students are invited to see Central Campus and explore the various opportunities that are available to them. The staff and other students try their best to make the incoming freshmen and their families feel welcome, as well as interest them in the variety of clubs and sports LTHS has to offer. The Porter Press was one of the many clubs in attendance, and two of our own student reporters interviewed some coaches, staff, and incoming students about their experiences and feelings about the event.

With the whole event being focused on the incoming freshman, it seems right to get theirpoint of view on the event. Kyle Hartman, an eighth grade student currently attending Kelvin Grove Middle School, told Porter Press that he had a great first impression of the school. He stated that he had felt very welcomed by everyone working the event and looking forward to joining both football and the science club. Another incoming freshman from Chaney Monge, Jacob Barr, said that he felt very welcomed and had a positive first impression of the school. He told reporters that he was very enthusiastic to start the school year next fall and is lookingforward to trying out for the basketball team.

We also got a chance to speak with some current students at Lockport who had volunteer
ed to help out at Step Up Night. Andrew Hensen from the Horticulture club shared that the turnout this year was great. The club had received interest from many students, many more than last year.

Four members of the baseball team also had praises about the great amounts of interest from upcoming freshman as well as words of wisdom for new students looking to try out for the team.

Nick Schindler, a Lockport freshman, said that the turnout was great and the kids seemed nervous yet excited about the sport. Another freshman, Jake Dagys, advised the incoming freshmen to stay on top of grades if they want to join a sport like baseball. One baseball player named Devin Drake told Porter Press that the coaches seemed excited for the next season and said he saw a few promising incoming freshman wanting to join the team next year. Nolan Vlcek, another freshman on the team, had one major piece of advice for the new students wishing to join a sport: “Don’t get too arrogant!”

Along with conversing with those great clubs and activities readily awaiting the arrival of our next freshman class, we spoke to two seniors members of the cheerleading team, Rachel Janaic and Taylor Balcaitis, who said they are both excited for the upcoming seasons and skill level of their entering freshman students. Both cheerleaders state that they are very interested in the amount of competitiveness and already-perfected skills. Some advice they gave is to be prepared to face tough practices and be ready to be dedicated and committed.

Finally, Mrs. Kerri Green, principal of Central Campus, thanks the parents for taking the time out of the their busy schedules to come and examine the open doors their children will be heading towards. When LTHS approaches the upcoming year, it looks as if there will be a large census of participating freshman students.