Boys varsity golf gears up for state

Written by Ryan Bennett, Sports Editor

With the season nearing an end, the LTHS Lockport boys varsity golf season has turned out to be a successful one.

The team has won all of their dual meets and two additional invites. “We also have a 2nd in the prestigious Providence Invite, and a 4th place finish against a loaded field in our first Invite of the year, The PrepTour Showcase,” Head Coach Matthew Eber proclaims.

The team has a mix of upper and lower classmen, with four seniors, two juniors, and two sophomores. Coach Eber states, “We have four returning team members from last year’s roster and 3 players who played in the IHSA Tournament last year and were part of the 3rd Place team finish.”

Junior Ben Sluzas is coming off his 2018 Individual State Championship. Junior Vincent Greci and sophomore Brody McCarthy also return as players who competed in the state championship last season. 

There are also many newcomers to the team. Six senior golfers graduated, leaving many spots to fill. Coach Eber says, “I think this year the biggest challenge we faced was trying to replace our 6 seniors from last year’s team who were great contributors to our success and 4-year players in our program.”

The main reason why this season has been a success is that all of the team’s pre-season goals have been met. “Our goals going into the season were to win all of our conference matches and the conference tournament, which we have done. We also wanted to win at least two of our invites and finish top five in all of them, which we have also accomplished with two invites left to play,” Coach Eber adds.

The end goal for this team include qualifying for state as a team and improving from their 3rd place finish from last year. In order to qualify, they would need to place in the top 3 in their regionals and sectionals meets.