Girls Tennis Caps Off Great Season with Sectional Victory

Angelina Borne

Martyna Kalinowska, Emilia Jurzyk, Kamila Kalinowska, Patrycja Jurzyk, Heather Heinz

Written by Ryan Bennett, Sports Editor

The Lockport girls varsity tennis team finished off a successful season by winning the IHSA Sectional tournament. There were some complications that the team had to face due to COVID-19, but they made the most of the unfamiliar circumstances, and Coach Bob Champlin was pleased with their results.

Senior Kamila Kalinowska had a record of 20-7 during the season and placed second at the SWSC Conference tournament. Also in that tournament, Patricia Miszczak and Abby Trainor finished second in singles. Emilia Jurzyk and Patricia Jurzyk placed second in doubles.

At the Sectional, Kalinowska placed first overall for singles in the Sectional, meanwhile freshman Martyna Kalinowska and junior Heather Heintz finished first for doubles. Emilia Jurzyk and Patricia Jurzyk also placed second for doubles.

This season has been different from any other due to COVID-19. The team was not able to participate in several tournaments that had been scheduled, and they had to play teams from around the area multiple times. “We took temperatures like the other sports did, and tried to maintain social distancing whenever possible,” Coach Champlin said.   “The girls did a good job in maintaining good health practices.”

Another result of COVID-19 is the cancellation of the state tournament for tennis. Other fall sports, like golf and cross country, had their state competitions also cancelled. Coach Champlin was confident that his team would have done well if given the opportunity at state.

Overall, Coach Champlin called the season a success, but says that it’s more than just about sports. “More importantly, it gives the girls an opportunity to have some normalcy in their lives, with relationships between each other and their coaches.”

2020 Girls Tennis Sectionals Plack (Angelina Borne)
An action shot of Kamila Kalinowska (Angelina Borne)
Heather Heinz waiting for the next serve (Angelina Borne)