Trunk or Treat with the Best Buddies

Image by Alexas_Fotos from Pixabay

Written by Emily Thompson, Features Editor

People who are a part of the club Best Buddies, participated in their annual Trunk or Treat festivity. Best Buddies is an organization where kids come together to help spread awareness about intellectual and developmental disabilities. Their Trunk or Treat festivity consists of students and families coming together where they decorate their cars and pass out candy to their best buddies. Everyone dresses up in a costume to bring the joy of Halloween to Lockport. Evan Schneider is a senior at LTHS who is a part of the best buddies program. He explained how his favorite part about Trunk or Treat is all of the decorated cars and the participants. Schneider states how a big difference about this year’s trunk or treat was that “everyone had to be parked at a social distance and everyone was wearing masks.” Normally, the cars are parked in a row but not this year!

Best Buddies is a club that does not end after high school. After the buddies graduate, there is a program called Carrer Community Connections Program (CCC) that Lockport is involved with. This is a program that kids with disabilities can attend after high school to help prepare them for their daily life. Students, like Schneider, can participate in this program with LTHS until they are twenty-one. If you are interested in joining Best Buddies there is still availability for the spring! If you are interested, contact your counselor or Ms. Bleck, the program leader, and they will help you from there!